This is for my daughters who love Italian food more than Italians do, literally. We (me and my husband have been cooking various pastas (spiralli, elbow, spaghetti, penne and other interesting varieties) in white sauce, red sauce and at times without sauce too. This independence day we thought of cooking the Independence Day pasta for our darlings and then talk with them about what really independence day meant. In fact, my younger daughter Arshiya asked me a question which is valid for her age (7 years) – she wanted to know what is the difference between Independence day and Republic day? We put her query to rest and served her the tricolour pasta so that she remembers it forever. You know such gestures stay with you forever.
To make our tricolour pasta we used the following ingredients which were easily available at home.
- Delmonte Spirali Pasta (250 gms approx.)
- Delmonte Olive oil to sauté veggies (3-4 tbsp) — we had the extra virgin so we used that, actually its used for salads etc.
- Zucchini (1/2 cup)
- Beans (1/2 cup)
- Carrots (1/2 cup)
- Paneer (1/2 cup)
- White sauce (prepared at home with processed cheese, ginger garlic paste, milk, refined flour)
- Butter (4-5 tbsp)
- Oregano, Black pepper, chilli flakes and salt to taste
- Boil some water (enough so that the pasta is submerged completely)
- Add pasta to boiling water and boil pasta until it is tender and then let let is rest in water for around 3-4 mins. This makes the pasta plump. Then drain the pasta and wash it under cold water. Keep it aside.
- Finely chop beans, zucchini and carrots. Keep it aside. Add the vegetables to this hot water drained after boiling the pasta. It makes the vegetables tender and you end up using less oil.
- For white sauce — take 2 tbsp butter in a pan add ginger garlic paste (2 tsp) saute it.
- Then add 3 tsp refined flour and sauté it, as it starts changing colour add 2 cup milk. Bring it to boil.
- As soon as it boils add cheese and let it melt. Once it melts add some salt, oregano and chiili flakes as per your taste. Let it rest.
- Now take a pan and add Del Monte olive oil and sauté beans, zucchini and carrots.
- Now just before serving sauté the pasta in butter, sprinkle some salt and pepper (Tip: This makes the pasta crunchy and more tasty.) Add white sauce and toss a little and add the stir fried veggies and serve.